SURF CAMP Redondo Beach
Starting at Age 7, our Surf Camp designed for first-time, beginner and intermediate surfers looking to improve their confidence and competence in the waves. Our small class size and incredibly low instructor to camper ratio of 1:4 ensures a safe environment with hyper-focused, individualized instruction for each camper. Our Surf Camp curriculum was designed by expert local surfer and instructor, Tommy Ostendorf, and is lead by experienced waterwomen and men who are excited to share their knowledge with their campers. In addition to learning surfing techniques, campers will also be educated on other essential aspects of surfing including, wave formation, tides, rip tides and currents, etiquette, equipment and much more!
Who can join?
Ages 7 to 14
No experience necessary
Become a BeachSports Coach or Coach in Training. Learn More!
Where is it?
Redondo Beach @ Ave. I
Ave. I & Esplanade
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
- Small Camp Size: Groups are limited to 12 campers with 3 coaches
- All Coaches: CPR & First-Aid Certified and Background Checked
- Location: Camp is setup next to a staffed LA County Lifeguard tower. Coaches and Lifeguards communicate daily about ocean conditions and coaches always defer to lifeguards on safety matters.
- Rashguards: All campers receive one brightly colored SPF rashguard per summer so they are easily identified by coaches and lifeguards.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen reapplication breaks are scheduled multiple times throughout the day. Shade tents are provided on the beach to escape sun exposure.
What You’ll Learn
- Beginner to Advanced Surf Instruction
- Ocean Safety (Rip tides, currents, waves, etc.)
- Surfing Etiquette 101
- Surfing Safety + Surfing Outside of Camp
- Ecology Lessons (ex. Our impact on the beaches and oceans)
- Meet the Lifeguards
- Beach Games, Body Surfing & Boogie Boarding optional
Sample Surf Camp Schedule
- 8:45-9:00AM | Camper valet style drop-off
- 9:00-9:15AM | Introduction, Warm-up, Surf Check
- 9:15AM-9:30AM | Ocean & Surf Safety Review
- 9:30-10:30AM | Surf Instruction
- 10:30-10:45AM | Snack + Water + Sunscreen
- 10:45-12:00PM | Surf Instruction
- 12:00-12:30PM | Lunch + Shade + Sunscreen + Optional Beach Game
- 12:30-1:45PM | Surf Instruction / Water time
- 1:45PM-2:00PM | Recap the day + Trash Pick-up + Walk to pick-up spot
*Schedule will vary based on ocean conditions. Quality waves = increased water time. Dangerous waves = increased beach activities and instruction
Camp Registration + Fees
$450 per week
10% Discount for siblings
10% Discount when booking 3+ weeks of camp
Discounts are applied automatically at checkout
Our Surf Camp is divided into 2 groups with 12 spots available in each group. Small groups provide increased safety and a more effective learning environment. If you are enrolling with friends or family and want to participate in activities together, make sure to sign up for the same Group.
After selecting the “Sign Up!” button below, you will be transferred to our registration page hosted by Sawyer. Select your Group then follow the steps to complete registration.