What Is Art Camp?
SALT & SOUL Art Camp is a special week at BeachSports hosted by our awesome Beach Camp Director, Julie Martin. Julie studied Art & Fashion in San Francisco at the Academy of Art University and has put together a 3-day art program featuring unique projects that integrate elements from the beach that are perfect for the outdoors. Continue reading to learn more about this unique experience and to save your spot!
Monday | Shibori Dye
Campers will learn about the Shibori dyeing technique and get to customize a t-shirt and BeachSports hat with dye, paint and embellishments!
Wednesday | Abstract Painting
Campers will learn about the abstract painter Jackson Pollock. They will explore Pollock’s action painting technique on canvas and take home a one-of-a-kind abstract art piece.
Friday | Sun Prints
Utilizing an element that is key to a day at the beach- the sun! Campers will learn how a cyanotype is made and developed, exposing shells and natural materials on the beach to create their own sun print.
When is it?
Art Camp Dates:
August 12th – 16th
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
9AM-12PM & 9AM-2PM
After Care | 2PM-5PM
Early Drop-Off | 8AM-9AM
*Art Camp activities are 9AM-12PM M, W, F
Campers enrolled outside of those days/times will enjoy Beach Camp activities
Where is it?
Art Camp will take place on the beach right next to our normal BeachSports camps
Pick-Up / Drop-Off:
Ave. I & Esplanade
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Who Can Join?
Ages 7 to 15
Limited to 20 Campers
Your existing Camp Day Passes can be used for Art Camp!
Ready for Art Camp?
Julie Martin | Click Here to View Julie’s Work
Julie Martin is an artist, jeweler and future art educator. Her strengths lie in using art as a means for healing and communication, and she finds that through art she is able to achieve a deeper understanding of herself and the world around her. As a teaching artist, she hopes to encourage other people to access this deeper understanding within themselves.
She currently works out of her studio in San Francisco, and she pulls a lot of inspiration from her background in fashion, as well as the laid back and organic environment she grew up in. The landscape in Redondo Beach inspires her to create soft and organic forms, similar to how the water moves through the ocean. This was always a place of peace and serenity for Julie, and continues to be a huge source of inspiration.
As she expands her knowledge in education as well as her art practice, she finds that the two naturally cross over and compliment each other. Julie strives to bring her organic and laid back roots into teaching, while also inspiring people to achieve and try things they never thought were possible. She believes that art is and will always be a vehicle for deeper understanding.
Terms & Conditions for Class Packs
Applies to Manhattan Beach & Redondo Beach
- Day Passes can be used at our Redondo or Manhattan Beach BeachSports and PCH Skate Camp locations only. Hermosa Beach programs are scheduled through the City of Hermosa Beach which, unfortunately, limits flexibility with our passes.
- Registration is required for each camp day at least 24 hours prior to the start of camp. Unscheduled "Drop-ins" will not be accepted.
- Unused Day Passes can be used towards our Fall/Winter camps or refunded at summers end at the lowest rate you ended up on. Absences will not be refunded. All Season Passes expire August 30th, 2019 and are non-refundable.
- Upgrade your Day Pass anytime and have your previous purchases credited towards the larger pass plan.
- Passes cannot be shared between campers. Day Passes can be transferred between siblings if they are on the same Day Pass plan at the time of transfer. (Example: Each sibling must have a 5 day pass in order to share passes. One sibling can come 3 days, the other 7 days)
- Campers receive one BeachSports rashguard per summer on their first day of camp. Additional rashguards available for purchase for $20.
- Bring your BeachSports purchase receipt to Dive N' Surf for 15% off in-store purchases (some restrictions apply).