SURF CAMP Manhattan Beach
Learn to surf or take your surfing to the next level at our Surf Camp! Developed by local surfer and instructor, Tommy Ostendorf, along with our team of experienced waterwomen and men, we’re all about turning every wave into a unique opportunity for learning and excitement!
Our campers will learn essential aspects of surfing, including wave formation, tides, rip tides and currents, etiquette, equipment, and much more. It’s not just about riding the waves; it’s about understanding and appreciating the dynamic ocean environment.
To ensure a positive learning environment, our camp maintains a small class size and an incredibly low instructor-to-camper ratio of 1:4. This guarantees a safe space where each camper has a chance to receive individualized instruction. Our goal is to foster confidence, skill, and a deep appreciation for the ocean.
At surf camp, we’ve created an environment where every day brings new challenges, victories, and a deep connection to the ocean. Surf Camp is not just about riding waves; it’s about creating lifelong memories and a love for the surf.
When is it?
Who can join?
Ages 7 to 14
No experience necessary
Become a BeachSports Coach or Coach in Training. Learn More!
Where is it?
Manhattan Beach @ 15th St.
15th St. & Ocean Dr.
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Location Director | LSU Class of 2022
Coach Devin is our ultra-positive, high energy leader overseeing our Manhattan Beach Surf, Volleyball & Jr. Lifeguard programs. Off the beach, Devin coaches volleyball and basketball at Wildwood School in Venice and runs Beachsports’ After School Lacrosse program at Robinson and Grandview elementary schools.
Head Coach | Mira Costa Class of 2024
Coach Téa is Captain of the MCHS Surf Team and an aspiring Ocean Lifeguard with plans to study Marine Science in the Fall. A genuinely kind and positive person, Téa is an amazing role model and loves sharing her passion for surfing and the ocean with her campers. We are stoked to have her back again this summer!
- Small Camp Size: Groups are limited to 12 campers with 3 coaches
- All Coaches: CPR & First-Aid Certified and Background Checked
- Location: Camp is setup next to a staffed LA County Lifeguard tower. Coaches and Lifeguards communicate daily about ocean conditions and coaches always defer to lifeguards on safety matters.
- Rashguards: All campers receive one brightly colored SPF rashguard per summer so they are easily identified by coaches and lifeguards.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen reapplication breaks are scheduled multiple times throughout the day. Shade tents are provided on the beach to escape sun exposure.
What You’ll Learn
- Beginner to Advanced Surf Instruction
- Ocean Safety (Rip tides, currents, waves, etc.)
- Surfing Etiquette 101
- Surfing Safety + Surfing Outside of Camp
- Ecology Lessons (ex. Our impact on the beaches and oceans)
- Meet the Lifeguards
- Beach Games, Body Surfing & Boogie Boarding optional
Sample Surf Camp Schedule
- 8:45-9:00AM | Camper valet style drop-off
- 9:00-9:15AM | Introduction, Warm-up, Surf Check
- 9:15AM-9:30AM | Ocean & Surf Safety Review
- 9:30-10:30AM | Surf Instruction
- 10:30-10:45AM | Snack + Water + Sunscreen
- 10:45-12:00PM | Surf Instruction
- 12:00-12:30PM | Lunch + Shade + Sunscreen + Optional Beach Game
- 12:30-1:45PM | Surf Instruction / Water time
- 1:45PM-2:00PM | Recap the day + Trash Pick-up + Walk to pick-up spot
*Schedule will vary based on ocean conditions. Quality waves = increased water time. Dangerous waves = increased beach activities and instruction
Sign Up For Camp!
FEES & SCHEDULE
9AM – 2PM
$555 per week
Extended Day | 2PM – 4PM
$125 per week
Early Drop-Off | 8:15AM – 9AM
$60 per week
FAQ: Online Registration
Groups: What are Groups?
During registration you will be asked to choose a Group. We break our camps into groups (ex. A, B, C, D) with a limited number of spots available in each group. These small groups ensure an ultra safe and personalized learning environment with very low instructor to participant ratios. If you are enrolling with friends or family and want to participate in activities together, make sure to sign up for the same Group during registration.
Session Options: Extended Day & Early Drop-Off
Session Options / Extended Day + Early Drop-Off
Extended Day (9AM-4PM) and Early Drop-Off (8:15AM) can be added to your registration during checkout. Please keep in mind Extended Day, open to ages 7+, is a long day at the beach and may be too much for some campers. Extended Day programming will consist of a variety of age appropriate beach games and water activities with opportunities for kids to relax in the shade at their discretion.
If the program you're enrolling in is sold out, you will see the option to join the waitlist. There is no charge to join the waitlist so we encourage you to join even if you've found an alternative program for that week. Our waitlist is automated so as soon as a cancellation is processed you will receive an email asking if you'd like to join. If you'd like to join, you simply click "yes" and follow the steps for registration. Click "no" and the next person on the waitlist will be notified of the opening. Feel free to Contact Us anytime to check your place on the waitlist or see if there is space in another Group or program.
Rashguard / Sunshirts
BeachSports provides one rashguard/sunshirt per summer which will be provided on your first day and is to be worn to camp daily. Additional rashguards are available for purchase during registration or at our Online Store.
Upon completion of your online registration you will receive an email with information specific to your program as well as a purchase receipt for your records. You will also receive a detailed reminder email the week prior to your camp start date. Additional information can be found in our online guide here: Camp Information for Registered Campers
During registration you will have the option to purchase various products. Depending on the product, it may be shipped to your home or delivered to you on the first day of camp. Delivery options will be specified in the product description.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Click Here to view our Cancellation and Refund Policy for 2024. You will also be able to view and agree to this and other policies during registration.