SURF & OCEAN SAFETY CAMP Hermosa Beach
BeachSports Surf & Ocean Safety Camp provides a safe, fun and educational environment for participants to learn the skills necessary to safely and confidently enjoy the ocean. Through beginner surf instruction and ocean fitness activities such as swimming, body surfing, paddling and more, participants will learn how to assess ocean conditions, identify and navigate dangerous situations, build physical strength and develop their ocean skills. Our small class size and low instructor to camper ratio of 1:4 ensures a safe environment with hyper-focused, individualized instruction for each camper.
When is it?
Who can join?
Ages 7 to 14
No experience necessary
Become a BeachSports Coach or Coach in Training. Learn More!
Where is it?
Hermosa Beach @ 15th St.
15th St. & The Strand
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
- Small Camp Size: Groups are limited to 12 campers with 3 coaches
- All Coaches: CPR & First-Aid Certified and Background Checked
- Location: Camp is setup next to a staffed LA County Lifeguard tower. Coaches and Lifeguards communicate daily about ocean conditions and coaches always defer to lifeguards on safety matters.
- Rashguards: All campers receive one brightly colored SPF rashguard per summer so they are easily identified by coaches and lifeguards.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen reapplication breaks are scheduled multiple times throughout the day. Shade tents are provided on the beach to escape sun exposure.
What You’ll Learn
- Beginner to Intermediate Surf Instruction
- Ocean Safety (How to identify and navigate rip tides, currents, waves, etc.)
- Surfing Etiquette 101
- Ocean Fitness & Strength building activities
- Ecology Lessons (ex. Our impact on the beaches and oceans)
- Meet the Lifeguards
- Beach Games, Body Surfing & Boogie Boarding optional
Sample Surf Camp Schedule
- 8:45-9:00AM | Camper valet style drop-off
- 9:00-9:15AM | Introduction, Warm-up, Surf Check
- 9:15AM-9:30AM | Ocean & Surf Safety Review
- 9:30-10:30AM | Surf Instruction
- 10:30-10:45AM | Snack + Water + Sunscreen
- 10:45-12:00PM | Ocean Skills & Fitness
- 12:00-12:30PM | Lunch + Shade + Sunscreen + Optional Beach Game
- 12:30-1:45PM | Surf Instruction / Water time
- 1:45PM-2:00PM | Recap the day + Trash Pick-up + Walk to pick-up spot
*Schedule will vary based on ocean conditions. Quality waves = increased water time. Dangerous waves = increased beach activities and instruction
Camp Registration + Fees
$525 per week
Price includes the 10% fee charged by the City of Hermosa Beach
Registration for our Hermosa Beach Camps is handled by the City of Hermosa Beach. After selecting your first camp week below, you will be transferred to the city’s registration page to complete your registration.
Select Your Camp Week
For assistance with registration, please call 310.318.0280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*No Camp July 4th. That week is prorated.
*School resumes August 24th so no Camp August 24-25. That week is prorated.