JUNIOR LIFEGUARD CAMP Manhattan Beach
Education in ocean safety and awareness is a necessity for the kids of our beach communities. Starting at Age 8, our Junior Lifeguard Camp is designed to educate and train our participants on the skills necessary to safely and confidently enter our oceans. Unlike other Junior Lifeguard programs, our program provides a relaxed and fun environment with incredibly low instructor to participant ratios of 1:6 and a small class size of only 12 campers. Although lifeguard skills are being learned and practiced, we remove the competitive elements and focus on a positive and encouraging experience for all participants. Instruction will cover ocean safety skills, how to identify dangerous conditions, how to safely navigate out of a riptide, paddling, ocean swimming and much more.
Who can join?
Ages 8 to 14
No experience necessary
Become a BeachSports Coach or Coach in Training. Learn More!
Where is it?
Manhattan Beach @ 15th St.
15th St. & Ocean Dr.
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Camp Activities & Instruction
Extended Day | 12PM-2PM Schedule
Jr. Lifeguard instruction ends at 12PM & Campers enjoy Beach Camp activities until 2PM
- Coach Ratio: 1:6
- Camp Size: 12 participants
- All Coaches: CPR & First-Aid Certified, Experienced Watermen/Women, Background Checked
- Location: Camp is setup next to a staffed LA County Lifeguard station. Coaches and Lifeguards communicate daily about ocean conditions and coaches always defer to lifeguards on safety matters.
- Rashguards: All campers receive brightly colored SPF rashguards so they are easily identified by coaches and lifeguards.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen reapplication breaks are scheduled multiple times throughout the day. Shade tents are provided on the beach for all day campers to escape sun exposure.
Sample Jr. Lifeguard Camp Schedule
- 8:45-9:00AM | Camper valet style drop-off
- 9:00-9:30AM | Introduction, Warm-up, Stretch, Analyze Ocean Conditions
- 9:30AM-10:30AM | Lifeguard Lessons/Drills*
- 10:30-10:45AM | Snack + Water + Sunscreen
- 10:45-11:45PM | Lifeguard Lessons/Drills*
- 11:45-12:00PM | Recap the days instruction
- 12:00-12:30PM | Lunch + Shade + Sunscreen | Half Day campers are picked Up.
- 12:30-1:45PM | Boogie boarding, water time, beach games
- 1:45PM-2:00PM | Trash Pick-up + Walk to pick-up spot
*Lifeguard Lessons/Drills include both land and water based activities focused on ocean safety, identifiying and navigating dangerous situations, ocean fitness and more.
**Schedule may vary based on ocean and weather conditions. Dangerous ocean conditions or cold weather = increased land based activities. Warm weather and calm conditions = increased water activities.
We do not require a swim test for our program. As a general rule, participants should be able to swim 100 yards in the pool in under 2:30 and tread water for 5 minutes or be able to confidently swim past the breaking waves and return to shore. Should our coach determine after the first day that your camper is not ready for the program, you will be able to transfer to one of our other BeachSports programs or receive a prorated refund of your camp fees. Please Contact Us at any time with questions about our program and swim requirements.
Camp Registration + Fees
9AM-12PM$350 per week
Extended Day | 9AM-2PM$425 per week
10% Discount for siblings
10% Discount when booking 3+ weeks of camp
Discounts are applied automatically at checkout
Our Jr. Lifeguard Camp is divided into 2 groups (A & B) with 12 spots available in each group. Small groups provide a safe and effective learning environment. If you are enrolling with friends or family and want to participate in activities together, make sure to sign up for the same Group.
After selecting the “Sign Up!” button below, you will be transferred to our registration page hosted by Sawyer. Select your Group then follow the steps to complete registration.