Meet Sarah Schemerhorn, Director of BeachSports Manhattan Beach!
We’re stoked to introduce you to Sarah Schemerhorn, one of BeachSports’ rockstar camp directors! Sarah, who brings positive energy and contagious excitement to the beach every day, also brings a plethora of experience working with camps and kids. When she’s not on the beach, she works at Wildwood School in Santa Monica as a Learning Resources Support Associate Teacher, Volleyball Coach, and After-School Aid.
Sarah is super fun, energetic, and thrilled to be returning to BeachSports this summer. We recently caught up with Sarah to learn more about her background, her favorite beach activity, her secret talents, and more. Read on to find out!
1. Hi Sarah! First off, please tell us a little bit about yourself.
After spending my college years in Boston, I moved back to the West Coast and currently work at Wildwood School as a Learning Resources Support Associate Teacher, Volleyball Coach, and After-School Aide. I have 8+ years background working in a variety of camps and school settings.
I am the kind of person who needs to be active! My passion has always been adventure and making the best out of every experience BIG or small! I love to make people smile and laugh because their happiness feeds my own! In my spare time I enjoy cooking, playing sports, boarding, and gazing at palm trees.
2. How long have you been working with BeachSports?
This will be my second year and I am stoked!
3. What’s your favorite part about being a BeachSports Camp Director?
This is my first year as a Director, and I am more than ready for this opportunity. I would describe myself as consistently motivated and having high energy level ambitions in life. So I feel like being in this position will make me grow as an individual and leader.
4. What’s your favorite beach activity?
Well, that’s a hard one because I have two…You can’t just pick one!
- Playing musical towels because the winner gets to dunk ANY coach in camp. The suspense is quite invigorating when the camper has to think about and choose which coach is going to be soaked!
- Creating an obstacle course for our campers. To see all the age groups split up evenly and compete is such a fun and rewarding game! It’s even better when it’s campers versus coaches because the campers thrive on being able to work as a group to defeat the coaches.
5. What are you most excited for this summer on the beach?
I am most excited to be able to work with an amazing crew and make this summer the best for each camper! The implementations for this year are going to add such a great foundation for our camp and the new games are going to add so much variety that all ages can enjoy.
6. Where’s your favorite place in the world?
On a beach at sunset surrounded by palm trees….Watching the palms sway and the waves crash gives me a sense of home.
7. What’s your secret talent that no one knows?
I have a secret knack for the crane game – give me a dollar and I’ll win you a teddy bear!